Thursday, October 11, 2007

Peguin Perspective

So now that I figured out how to do RSS feeds, I can stay up on my blogs.
Today from the Penguin:

"And I think, as you get older, the end of every Summer starts to mean a little more and I think you feel the loss a little more deeply. When I was younger I thought I'd have all the Summers I'd ever want. Now, I'm not so sure.

What helps is running. Running and walking, really. Getting out there along MY lakefront, looking at MY city, moving MY body is all I can do. Most days it's plenty. Other days, there aren't enough miles to make the feelings go away."

He's in Chicago and running the lakefront. I had the pleaseure of running the lakefront last summer (it was sooo hot). The picture he has on this blog was one that I took in my mind. It's a gorgeous view.

I also like his sentiment. I went running yesterday afternoon/evening right before sunset. Fall has been in the mountains for a couple weeks, but this week it's made it into the valley. The Island trail is all yellow and the view of the Island below and the bench in the distance is great. I felt fortunate that I decided to go for an evening run instead of a pre-dawn run so I could take in the season before it's gone. I still think I have plenty of Falls left, but I'll have to wait a full year for the next one.

The way he feels about Chicago is the way I came to feel about DC through running. I'm thinking that running will also help me bond with my new home.